The Warsaw Ghetto Museum invites you to a walking tour of the first excavations of Mila 18/20.
Sunday 11th of September, 12:00
Duration: approximately 2 hours
Meeting spot: the entrance of the Monument at Miła 18
A short tour of the area around the excavation starting from: Muranowska street – the traces of pre-war Warsaw in the present; Niska and Stawki streets – the Warsaw Ghetto and the ghetto walls, the road to the Umschlagplatz; Dubois Street – The German road and the final destruction of the ghetto; Miła 18 – the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. What we know from the historical record of the houses from Muranowska 37 to 41 from 1869 to 1943?
Features and finds of the basements of Muranowska 39 and Muranowska 41, including: the collapsed floors of Muranowska 39, the library and the religious artefacts, the kitchens and the entrance to the bunker; features of the bunker complex – the reinforced walls of Muranowska 41, the corridor to Miła 20, the paved corridor and the finds in the basement; features of destruction and post war rebuilding; the experience of excavation – the participants and the visitors from abroad and the local area.
An extended tour of the wider area with a focus on revealing the few traces of the past which still exist. Along this route there will be an opportunity to discuss aspects of pre-war Warsaw’s Jewish community, the Warsaw Ghetto during the war and the area up to the present day. The tour will follow the pre-war roads listed below: the corner of Zamenhofa and Miła and the January revolt; the old road to the Wołynskie barracks – the place of the Judenrat from August 1942; the crossroads of Gęsia and Zamenhofa and the spire of St. Augustine’s church; along Gęsia to Nalewki – the centre of Jewish Warsaw.
The guide will be Alan Gough – an archaeologist who worked on the excavation at Muranowska 39 and who is also a long term resident of the Muranów area in Warsaw.
Participation is free of charge. The tour will be conducted in English.