“The courts in Leszno were the border and at the same time the link between the two worlds”, says Hanna Dzielińska (Hanka Warszawianka), journalist and tourist guide. The tenth episode of the series ‘Remnatns of the Warsaw Ghetto’ tells of the Grodzki courts at Solidarity 127 Avenue (formerly Leszno 53/55 Street), once colloquially called the Courts of Leszno. They were a point of contact between the ghetto and the ‘Aryan’ side, allowing friends and families to meet, smugglers and escapes. It was through the courts that people working with Żegota, such as Irena Sendlerova, took Jewish children to safe havens.
Dr. Agnieszka Witkowska-Krych writes more about the functioning of the Courts in Leszno during the occupation in the 9th part of the column series “Taste of ghetto life”: http://1943.pl/en/artykul/the-taste-of-life-in-the-ghetto-9/
‘Remnants of the Warsaw Ghetto’ is a film series of 16 short guided tours presenting the history of places and people associated with them. The following places will be presented: Umschlagplatz; Anielewicz Mound; Szmul Zygielbojm Monument; Monument of the Ghetto Heroes; Grzybowski Square; Mariańska Street and the Nursing School; Nożyk Synagogue; Great Synagogue at Tłomackie Street; Nalewki Street; Femina Cinema Theater; Courts at Leszno Street; Chłodna Street; Waliców Street; The Jewish Cemetery at Okopowa Street, and the Bersohn and Bauman Hospital – the place where the permanent exhibition of the Warsaw Ghetto Museum will be created.
The series presentation accompanies the commemoration of 80th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto borders closing, organized by the Warsaw Ghetto Museum in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage and TSKŻ – the Social and Cultural Society of Jews in Poland. The main events took place on November 16, 2020.