On July 22, the Jewish Historical Institute organized the Tenth March of Remembrance, commemorating the nearly 300,000 victims of the Great Liquidation Action.
In the summer of 1942, nearly 300,000 residents of the Warsaw Ghetto were transported to the Treblinka extermination camp. On July 22, the tragic death of Warsaw’s Jews was commemorated by symbolically following their last path in reverse order, from death to life: from the transshipment point through Stawki, Dubois, Anielewicza and Świętojerska Streets to Stare Nalewki, the former heart of the former Jewish quarter. This year’s tenth March of Remembrance was dedicated to the teachers and educators of the Warsaw Ghetto who, despite their dramatic situation, did not lose faith in the meaning of education of the young generation.
On behalf of the Warsaw Ghetto Museum, the Director Albert Stankowski and the Head of the Collections Department, Paweł Matwiejczuk, laid a wreath at the monument at the Umschlagplatz – the place where Warsaw Jews were gathered before being deported to the Treblinka extermination camp. From the monument, the participants of the march walked along ul. Stare Nalewki towards Krasiński Garden, carrying the ribbons of remembrance with the names of the murdered.
The walk ended with an artistic installation designed by Jakub Szczęsny, “The Bench”, which will be on display until the end of August.