“In 1940, Chłodna Street found herself in the ghetto… the pavement and tram tracks were outside of the closed district”, says Hanna Dzielińska (Hanka Warszawianka), journalist and tourist guide. In the twelfth part of ‘Remnants of the Warsaw Ghetto’, she tells the story of Chłodna Street, dividing the so-called Jewish residential area into two parts – small and large ghetto – until January 26, 1942, when a footbridge connecting them was built. Adam Czerniaków – engineer, senator, Warsaw city councillor and president of the Warsaw Judenrat – lived on the street at number 20 in the famous Tenement House under the Clock.
‘Remnants of the Warsaw Ghetto’ is a film series of 16 short guided tours presenting the history of places and people associated with them. The following places will be presented: Umschlagplatz; Anielewicz Mound; Szmul Zygielbojm Monument; Monument of the Ghetto Heroes; Grzybowski Square; Mariańska Street and the Nursing School; Nożyk Synagogue; Great Synagogue at Tłomackie Street; Nalewki Street; Femina Cinema Theater; Courts at Leszno Street; Chłodna Street; Waliców Street; The Jewish Cemetery at Okopowa Street, and the Bersohn and Bauman Hospital – the place where the permanent exhibition of the Warsaw Ghetto Museum will be created.
The series presentation accompanies the commemoration of 80th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto borders closing, organized by the Warsaw Ghetto Museum in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage and TSKŻ – the Social and Cultural Society of Jews in Poland. The main events took place on November 16, 2020.