Visit from the Ghetto Fighters’ House
On August 4, a delegation from the Ghetto Fighters Museum from Kibbutz Lochamei ha-Geta’ot met in Warsaw with representatives of the Warsaw Ghetto Museum and the Jewish Historical Institute. The visit took place at the Club Café Babel, run by the TSKŻ – the Social and Cultural Society of Jews in Poland.
Kibbutz Lochamei ha-Geta’ot (Hebrew, Kibbutz of the Ghetto Fighters) was founded on April 19, 1949, on the sixth anniversary of the outbreak of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. A year later, the Beit Lochamei ha-Geta’ot – Ghetto Fighters Museum was opened at the kibbutz, which is also the first museum in the world dedicated to the Holocaust. Its founders – the surviving members of the Jewish resistance movement from Poland and Lithuania and prisoners of the concentration camps – included Icchak Cukierman and Cywia Lubetkin, who fought for the ŻOB in both uprisings in German-occupied Warsaw. The newly established facility was named after Icchak Kacenelson, a poet who was murdered in Auschwitz-Birkenau on May 1, 1944.
The Warsaw Ghetto Museum is pleased to cooperate with the Ghetto Fighters’ House. Thanks to the Polish Institute in Tel Aviv, a delegation from the Warsaw institution visited the Ghetto Fighters kibbutz in the Western Galilee in January 2019. A few months later, in August 2019, Yigal Cohen, the director of the Ghetto Fighters Museum, visited the Warsaw Ghetto Museum.
Today, almost two years after the last meeting, the Ghetto Fighters’ House delegation, consisting of: Igal Cohen, Anat Bratman-Elhalel and Liat Margalit, with representatives of two Warsaw institutions – the Warsaw Ghetto Museum, represented by Director Albert Stankowski, Press Spokeswomen Katarzyna Brzezińska, Head of the Education Department, Dr. Halina Postek and the main specialist in pre-war research, Prof. Dr. hab. Konrad Zieliński, and the Jewish Historical Institute, represented by Director Monika Krawczyk. The visit took place in the Club Café Babel, run by the TSKŻ – the Social and Cultural Society of Jews in Poland.